This is my final post in my blog. In my Unit 3 blog from this course, I had to assess my psychological, spiritual, and physical wellness. I had to score this from 1-10; I scored my psychological as a 7 and my spiritual and physical wellness as an 8. As of today, I would still consider my psychological wellness as a 7, and my spiritual wellness as an 8. However, I am glad to say that my physical wellness is now a 9:)
I have set a lot of goals over the last month for my physical wellness. I originally started running about 3 1/2 months ago and I achieved my goal of running 2.5 miles without stopping! I then started an INSANITY program by Shaun T. This program is very intense, but it has shown me that I can be a very strong and motivated person, if I just put my mind to it. I have now gotten through the first month and am just finishing up the recovery week. I will then be starting my second month on Monday; which is the last portion of this program :) I am very proud of myself for getting this far through the program and I feel much stronger than I did before. I lost 4 pounds in one month and I feel that I have gained not only physical strength, but also mental strenghth as well.
I also have set aside the 15 minutes per week for relaxation. I try to either listen to music or find something to do; whether it be taking a drive or fixing up my yard. I do enjoy working outside; it gives me the sense of relaxation. However, I have not been praying three times a week like I have wanted to. I do not know why this has been so difficult for me. I think it is because I have had so much going on lately. I have had to take my son to the doctor's a couple of times last week and have a lot of "running" around to do. I think when this happens our minds just wonder all over and we forget. This is something that I am definitely going to be doing. I am also going to be going to my Aunt's church out of state next month. I think this will be helpful to me as well; this will give me the opportunity to learn about other cultures and beliefs as well.
This class has helped me out a great deal because I have learned a lot about myself and about different relaxation techniques that are available. I have also learned that we need to open our hearts and our minds to others. I think it is so important to remember how important our family is to us. Sometimes I think we get caught up in our everyday lives, that we forget who is right there beside us. We need to take the time and recognize our family and spend time with them; after all time is a precious thing and you never know how long you will have.
Sara DeSanto
Hi Sara,
ReplyDeleteI think you have made more progress than you give you credit for! Keeping up with your running and doing that insane workout is great! You made a plan and you are sticking with it, and, no doubt, others are being positively affected by your commitment to doing right by yourself. I wish you huge successes in your goals and future career!
Cheers!
Rebecca Ott :-)
Congratulations on your fitness goals getting met! I know how hard that workout is, it’s no joke! I think it’s great that you make time for it. When I think of prayer, I use to think traditionally of being on my knees kneeling beside the bed in a chair but I’ve since let that go and because my life is hectic like yours, I use my show time as prayer time. I always start the morning off as soon as I open my eyes with my thank you for making it through the night but, when I get in the shower either before I do what I got in there for or after I get my prayers out of the way. My water bill is a little higher but I don’t have to worry about being disturbed or trying to make time. I started praying that way when my sister and I were living in the same house, 4 kids, the bathroom was the only place I could go and get peace as long as the water so I adapted my pray time to my surroundings.
ReplyDeleteI agree that sometimes we get so caught up in the hustle and bustle that we forget the little things. I agree we need to slow down and appreciate our families.
I wish you peace
Terri Bentley
Great job on meeting your running goal of non-stop 2.5 mile run! That's fantastic! I think we all need to make these types of short term, possible goals for ourselves. It's just another thing that will help push us to where we want to be. I am training for a half marathon at the end of the year; that is my physical goal that I hope to obtain. It definitely takes a lot of hard work and discipline on my part, but it is also a great motivation for me. I think if we are able to keep and maintain these goals, they will help get us to where we eventually want to be. Running is also a great stress-reliever. I love running, but especially if I find myself getting too stressed or just upset, I will take a run and then after I feel completely different. I am rejuvenated and happier and stress and worry free. So keep up the good work!
ReplyDeleteI too thought this was a great class that definitely showed me that I need to be kind to myself but also be kind to others. We need to surround ourselves with positive people too, instead of having negative people in our lives. In order for us to be able to live the best we possibly can, we need to have love and happiness in our lives. I definitely have a tendency to take my family for-granted, but this class has helped me to realize that I need to cherish and appreciate all of my friends and especially my family because that's what life is all about. I wish you all the best!
~Kristin Croake
That's just fabulous. Isn't it hard to stop and relax in a world that is so busy? I have to force myself to take this time to relax my mind and clear all the chatter that wants to keep going. I would like to run more but I find that just getting outside for a short walk like today when the weather is just perfect is exhilarating to the soul and body. Best to you on your next endeavor.
ReplyDeleteSara you are doing a great job and I like the way you have improved on your workout the insanty is the best but it looked so hard to me I go to the gym early in the morning before work it gives me so much energy. But I have learned to much from this class on relaxtion and medatition and I enjoy it the most. Good luck on your goals in the future.
ReplyDeleteLisa Kimbrough
Sara,
ReplyDeleteThat's fantastic! Keeping up with a program like INSANITY is a definite sign of your motivation for change and determine to get results. That's awesome!
We do have times when life just seems to get us caught up in the runaround of errands, appointments and work that our need for stillness and solitude get lost in the chaos. I hope you are able to find the time you need for yourself to get that relaxation you need.
I also like to get in the yard and relieve stress by pulling weeds, mowing the lawn, and enjoying the hard work when it's all done. There is something therapeutic in gardening and landscaping, I think.
Good luck on your journey to healthier living...and every best wish for your completion and success with INSANITY.
Melissa Rasberry
Hello Sara. Boy, this class has been so awsome. One thing that I noticed about somthing you will use for relaxation was music. Throughout the whole course, I never really thought much about music. I was really into the relaxation techniques and practices that were in the text. Nevertheless, I will incorporate music at some point. I think listening to things like piano and acoustic guitar would be very relaxing. Thanks for the idea. I guess the key is to stay busy too. Good luck in your future voyage, and many blessings!
ReplyDelete