This week I completed the "Meeting Aesclepius" practice! I found this practice to be absolutely amazing and so comforting to my heart and spirit. As soon as the woman began to speak and said to think of someone in my life that was full of wisdom, I immediately thought of my grandfather. He passed away many years ago of cancer, but he was definitely the most wisest person I could think of. My grandfather and I were so close and him and my grandmother basically raised me since I was 3 because my parents had to work all the time.
As soon as I first pictured him, I saw him reading his morning newspaper in his favorite chair and then I saw him and I fishing on his boat. We used to fish every summer :) I found this exercise to open my heart and mind into what he has taught me over the years that I have forgotten. He has taughten me to be kind, compassionate and gentle to everyone.
It was very hard for me to see the white light over his head because it reminded me of his passing on; however I tried very hard to remember all of the good times we had together. I will be able to foster all of the practices he has continue to teach me through my life by showing my son what he has taught me through the years; loving and kindness towards others.
The saying, " One cannot lead another where one has not gone himself"(George,L). is very meanful. I think that you have to be able to have that experience in order to show someone else. It is important to be able to tell someone else about an experience in your life rather than than just telling someone how they should lead their life if you are not doing the same thing. For example: My friend was trying to tell me how to live my life by not stressing out and being more "free" in my life. However; she was the most stressful person I think I have ever met. You have to be able to show someone you are doing what you are preaching.
Overall, I think this was a great exercise and I think it really helped me a lot :)
Reference:
George, L. Transformation of the healer: The application of Ken Wilber's integral model to family practice medicine.
Sara DeSanto
I really enjoyed the “Meeting Aesclepius” practice too. I thought it was really neat how mush the story of your grandfather reminded me of my Godfather. He and my Godmother basically raised me because my mom had to work nights when I was little. He always took me fishing, camping, swimming and other things. He died a few years ago from a heart attack. I am sorry about grandfather. It is just nice that we had such great people in our lives.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you that you have to be able to have that experience in order to show someone else. For instance, I do not want take a child birthing class from a women who has not given birth LOL. I want to learn from someone who has experienced it.
Tabatha,
ReplyDeleteI do agree with you that in order to relate to someone, they have to have already experienced it. I know that when I started running, I wanted someone who was experienced and could help me start out. My girlfriend had been running for quite a while and it was great to be able to find someone to help me push myself to where I am now. Now, I am able to push myself even further to do my INSANITY work out program; which I am now going to be starting week 3 on Monday :)
I am really excited that I have been able to accomplish so much in my life and I think it is because of the wonderful people I have had a long the way:)
Sara DeSanto
Hi Tabatha,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed this exercise too. It was very easy to relax and reflect. I agree that it is more effective to share through experience rather than book knowledge. We all have lots to share with others. It is great to look back and see all of the progress and accomplishments in my life. What kinds of relaxation methods do you use? Are they working for you? We are all so busy with life it is hard to fit everything in. I was just wondering what you do to reduce stress.
It's good that this meditation could help you remember your grandfather and all the wisdom he has taught you. You are lucky to have someone like that in your life. :) I can imagine that the white light must have been difficult for you for personal reasons. I always have a hard time visualizing the light coming out of people or myself. I don't know why I have such a hard time with it.
ReplyDeleteI like your example of your friend telling you not to stress when she herself stresses. I agree that advice comes best from someone you admire for doing it. Maybe you could work together to come up with stress reduction strategies. :)
Nicole Styer